Monday 13 February 2017

From TamsinP: 28mm Pulp Seamen (76 points)

A bit of a change of pace, scale and era this week. I was working on a points bomb, but things were going slowly due to a cold and it wouldn't be ready in time for submission this week. So, over the weekend I switched to painting up something different that I could complete. And here you are - fifteen 28mm pulp seamen.


These are the crew of the Lady Sarah, a small Canadian tramp freighter. Having spent many years trading from port to port around the coasts of Africa, across the Indian Ocean and through the South China Seas barely staying afloat and above the breadline the ship's captain, Campbell Curtis spotted the lucrative potential offered by Prohibition. And so the ship returned to Canada, steamed inland and is now running cargo across the great lake between ports in Canada and Salutesville. There are those who suggest that the ship's sudden prosperity may be down to the transport of certain illicit consumables to the thirsty residents of Salutesville, but I couldn't possibly comment...

The crew:





Just in case anyone wants a closer look at the tats:





The chappie with his hands in his pockets looks like an extra from the yard scene in "Escape from Alcatraz".





 I tried to get in close to this chappie's face but this was the best I could manage.




The officers:

Captain Campbell Curtis, First Officer Tamsin Piper and First Mate Inge Johansen





I'm not happy with the bases - the Milliput I used was going off and it was very hard to smooth and carve (perhaps not helped by me leaving it so long before doing that). I might go over them with some PVA and sand at some point to smooth them out.

They are all 28mm from Pulp Figures. Fifteen of them at 5 points each should give me a handy 75 points.


MilesR: What an inspired entry Tamsin - these figures are superb and I'm throwing in an extra point for the tats on the sailors - very well done!

31 comments:

  1. Shameless buttering up the snow lord I see. Great painting nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome entry. And it's always nice to see non-male figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your best yet I think. The back story is great too. Cracking job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. I want to see the Lady Sarah now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. brilliant stuff. Love the tats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, that are quite intimidating looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some really great looking figures Tamsin, love the tats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Tamsin. The Captain sounds like a shifty character, although I'm in full support of his particular cargo choices on the Great Lakes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Tamsin. I like some of the extra bits like the tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smooth highlights on these, nice to see you work on the bigger scales!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking seamen, love the tats.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just awesome Tamsin. You've really captured the Pulp fun of Bob's figures. I particularly like the tattoos, the fellow with the monkey and the black chap with the Chicago typewriter. We need to see The Lady Sarah, though I'm not sure if Sarah entirely onboard with being named after a 'tramp steamer' but it's Valentines so I'll say no more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but I do appreciate all the lovely man-candy,
      Great looking crew!

      Delete
  13. I knew as soon as I saw these that they were Pulp Figures, the style is unmistakable. You've really caught the character of these minis, Tamsin. I agree w Barks, you need a boat now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really excellent work! And the tats!! Great.

    As the Padre says, Bob Murch's sculpts are unmistakable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great Mötly crew! They look as if they will capture a huge black ape any time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach! You commented while I was doing replies!

      Thanks! It's probably more likely that the huge black ape would capture them! ;)

      Delete
  16. @ Miles - thanks and cheers for the extra point :)

    @ Adam - thanks, but I hardly think that suggesting he was barely competent as a merchant seamen until he took to criminal activities is "buttering up" ;)

    @ Sylvain - cheers! Yup, always good to have female figures :)

    @ Dave D - best group maybe, but not my best-best I think. docks and steamer may get done over the summer - I really do need to do some terrain work this year :)

    @ Barks - cheers! The Lady Sarah might appear later this year, but not during the Challenge I'm afraid :)

    @ Martin C - thanks! :)

    @ John dtn - cheers! They're quite friendly once you get to know them ;)

    @ Ray R - thanks! :)

    @ Greg - cheers! He does seem a bit of a rum cove :)

    @ Rod F - thanks! The tats were fun to do on those two :)

    @ Iannick - cheers! There are a couple of them were the highlights weren't as smooth as I'd like. It was nice to do some 28mm again :)

    @ Iain - thanks! :)

    @ Curt - Bob really does produce some lovely character figures for pulp adventures. I think I'll have to do some back stories for the other crew members at some point :)

    @ Sarah - glad you like the hunky chaps! :)

    @ Michael P - thank you Padre! They are difficult to mistake for any other range :)

    @ Edwin - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know Canadian waters were so dangerous to need to be tooled up to the nines.

    Lovely painting Here's ramsin, and very fine work on the sailor's tats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well don't these just look wonderful Tamsin!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really nice and a great change of pace and genre

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cracking work Tamsin! And an impressive effort trying to gain bonus points with some "creative" naming ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Phil - thanks! It's not the Canadian waters they need to be tooled up for ;)

    @ Christopher - cheers! :)

    @ Jamie M - thanks! Always good to switch things around a bit to break up the routine and refresh yourself :)

    @ Samuli - cheers! The thought never crossed my mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great crew Tamsin, I am sure I've seen similar types along the Halifax waterfront in my youth. I sure as hell am not messing with the broad in the fisherman's sweater and Sou'wester hat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are fantastic, Tamsin! You really nailed the tattoos too. Each of them seems to be an excellent character. Salutesville is getting rowdy! I look forward to your docks and ship!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Peter D - cheers! I wouldn't want to mess with Inge either! ;)

    @ David B - thanks! The tattoos were a bit rough, but they seem to have come out OK. As for Salutesville getting rowdy, are you suggesting that it wasn't already rowdy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. They are reet Grand, some lovely figures in there, love the tattoos they really work well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look superb Tamsin! They look like some hard bastards with their tattoos and all. Now all they need is a proper little ship to go about their business of transporting, errr, highly valuable goods...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great crew Tamsin! Love the tats and the backstory, makes your posts the most entertaining :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ Ken - thanks! :)

    @ Martin - cheers! The ship should be along later in the year [I'll be buying one at Salute] :)

    @ James - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete