Monday 20 March 2017

The Last Post of Challenge VII: A Few Landsknechts for the Final Push to the Finish


Brushes down folks! It's over.

Whew! Another Challenge under the belt. I'm completely exhausted, but it feels absolutely awesome. I have to give a big thanks to Tamsin, Dave and Miles for stopping in to help me post some of the entries over the weekend - you guys were real troopers. By my tabulation we did around 8000 points over the last 48 hours alone! 

I always find the last day of the Challenge a little surreal as I slowly get back into the groove of doing the Challenge alone, which is how it was for the first five editions (it's absolutely crazy how I managed to do that). Saying farewells, giving thank yous, and hoping we can all get together to do it again next year. It makes me a little verklempt actually.

For the last post I return to add to my last entry of Challenge VI, my infuriating but beloved Landsknechts. 


Originally, I had two central bases to complete and was hoping to get enough Landsknechts done over the Challenge to fill them all in, but time caught up with me and so I can only present one base to you.



 These are a mix of Foundry and Pro Gloria (now Warlord) figures. Beautiful models to work with and an absolute joy to paint. I've placed them on the irregular bases I had the good folks at Warbases knock out for me. With it being the central base I wanted to add a bit of drama with the Hauptmann and his standard bearer breaking forward from the line to encourage the men to close with the enemy.

A work-in-progress shot of the Hauptmann

C'mon lads, let's get this sorted...

 The standard bearer is carrying the colours of the Fugger family. 


The Fuggers were a very interesting family as they arguably exercised the greatest amount of power during the Renaissance. We often hear of the Medicis, the Sforzas and and the Borgias, but they were small potatoes when compared to the Fugger family of Augsburg.

Jakob Fugger
Jakob Fugger essentially purchased the votes to ensure Maximilian I and Charles V's elevation as Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire. These 'purchases' thereby secured the dominance of the Hapsburg for almost a century (and you can just imagine the favours that old Jakob could call in). In personal wealth the Fuggers have not yet been eclipsed. Converted to today's currencies the Fuggers were worth over 400 billion dollars - more than either the Rockefellers or the Carnagies. At the height of their power during the Renaissance, the Fugger family in of itself accounted for 2% of the GDP of all of Europe. 

So purchasing a unit of Landsknecht would be but a rounding error in the Fugger account books. ;) 

Finally, here are a couple shots incorporating the newly finished base in with the rest of the unit.  Just one base left to go! (sigh)




 These 8 lads will give me 40 points to add to my final tally.


_____________________________

Okay on to the administrative stuff.

The announcement on the various prizes will be in two weeks (Sunday, April 2nd).  These will be:

- The six Threshold prizes for 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500 points.

- Judges Choice (chosen by me)

- Sarah's Choice (chosen by Lady Sarah)

- Challenger's Choice (chosen by you lot!)

- Awards for the top finishers in the points standings

For Challenger's choice we're going to do it similar to last year. I want all of the participants to send me their top three choices of the Challenge. The deadline is next Sunday (the 26th). It doesn't have to be in any order as I will then make a big gallery and we can all vote from the entire group of nominations. That way we'll all get reminded of all the excellent work that was produced during the Challenge. I'll give out prizes for the top three on April 2nd.

There it is. The Seventh Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge has concluded. 

Thank you for indulging me in my madness. And a HUGE thanks to this year's Minions (Miles, Alan, Paul, Byron, David, Sylvain, Phil and Millsy) - we could not have done this without you. 

You and all of the participants were terrific and I hope you had as good a time as I did.

Thanks again.

Curt

43 comments:

  1. Once again, the absolute highlight of my painting year. Lots done and loads of great posts to see what else is out there and what people are doing, all in one place. Thanks for your herculean efforts once again and I shall start prepping for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaimie, it was wonderful having you with us again. You have such a fun sense of humour and are a great sport. See you in a few months!

      Delete
  2. Awesome challenge, thank you so much. This was my 3rd challenge and since I joined them my involvement with this wonderful, geeky hobby has changed dramatically for the better. It's all your fault. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin, I'm delighted that you kept Miles on the straight and narrow. You were magnificent with all your fun conversions and home-casts. Really terrific work.

      Delete
  3. Massive congratulations on another spectacular Challenge. Taking part has been a privilege and an honour, being surrounded as I am by so many talented painters. Picking three favourites​ will probably be the biggest challenge of all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could be with us Lee. Your 6mm stuff is just amazing - reference standard work. I hope your spring goes well and you join us again.

      Delete
  4. Thanks again for another wonderful challenge and for letting me tag along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miles, we could not have done this without you. Both your minioning and mad spreadsheet skillz saved my sanity. This all being said it was the imported coffee that sealed the deal. ;) Seriously, thanks so much again.

      Delete
    2. Regular doses of premium coffee keep Curt fuelled for this madness!
      Again, many thanks for the gift of coffee, I think Bitch Slap Coffee was favourite, but Death Wish Coffee was a very close contender. ❤☕😊

      Delete
  5. Lovely Landsknechts to close the Challenge with Curt :)

    It's been a real pleasure to take part once again and I was more than happy to resurrect Trolley Dolly Tamsin to help out with some of the minioning :)

    By my rough calculations it looks as though we exceeded the overall target by just under 10% and just under 10% of the final total was submitted and minioned in the final two days! :Lovely jubbly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone finally mentions the Landsknechts! ;)

      Thank you Tamsin. You, Dave and Miles really helped keep my head above water this weekend and allowed me to get these fashion plates ready for their close-ups. :) That was a TON of points we ploughed through!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, and well done all. Looking forwards to VIII!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another amazing presentation of Landsknechts Curt - I dont know how you are patient enough to keep them from Challenge to Challenge so you can keep adding to the collection.

    What a blast - the most and best I have ever painted. What a fantastic community to bring out that sort of effect on so many of us. It was a real pleasure to help out behind the scenes and assist in making this a reality.

    Looking forward to seeing everyone's pics of their combined AHPC VII submissions! In the meantime, I have a bunch of terrain jobs to catch up on which I've deferred for three months as they aren't worth any points :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul. I know last year we caught you moving from one continent to another with the resulting last-minute scramble for submissions, so it was great to have you with us for a full 3-month run. Also, thanks for introducing us to your son Reilly, he did a terrific job with his entries which must make his dad proud. :)

      Delete
  8. Outstanding looking Landsknechtes Curt! Another great challenge completed and thank you for running it again. I'm looking forward to the next one!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! Make sure you do, it wouldn't be the same without you.

      Delete
  9. The Landsknechts are indeed wonderful as is your way of basing! You should ask patent on that ;-)

    Anyway a big HUZZAH for all the Minions and 3 Cheers of HUZZAH for you and the Lady Sarah for organising this great Feast of Figures again this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sander. Remember, I have dibs on you for the next Challenge... ;)

      Delete
  10. Fantastic looking landsknechts! I was waiting for a mass of them to pop up! Lovely way to finish the challenge on , all great fun and once again thanks for letting me come on board. Choosing 3 from the challenge is going to be tough, there is so much great work here.
    All the best
    Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Iain. Unfortunately no mob of them this year. I had all the best intentions, which served as well as a road to... well, you know. It was delightful having you with us this year.

      Delete
  11. Great Landsknechts, a great entry on which to end the challenge. Throughly enjoyed my "rookie" year.

    Thanks to Curt for organising the whole thing and those wonderful Minions for keeping the well oiled machine moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're a seasoned vet now Ken. I hope to see you next year.

      Delete
  12. Great looking miniatures and thank you again for hosting the challenge again..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam! Best wishes with the impeding arrival!

      Delete
  13. As usual a most impressive entry. Many thanks for the Challenge, I had a terrific winter. Hope to be here again in a few months

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to have you with us Benito! I hope we'll see you and your lovely wife this autumn.

      Delete
  14. We need a proper group shot of all of these MrC ..lovely work again.

    Time to have a bit of a restock coming up I Think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! I have a couple more units to base up and then I'll do a proper photo of them.

      Delete
  15. Great final entry! Thanks for all your work and another highly entertaining challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work on this unit, great work on running yet another competition, and great work to all people involved! Until the next one now.. as we begin to prep for it all throughout the year :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle! I'm already penciling in what I want to do next year.

      Delete
  17. Wonderful work as always dude! All the best, will see you in April!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic job running this Gong Show again Dude. Great looking pikemen and love the flag. It's funny I was at Chapters yesterday and a history of the Fuggers was one of possible choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I'm gong to have to check out that book...

      Delete
  19. Lovely models Curt.
    And I've thoroughly enjoyed my first Analogue Challenge. Thanks to you, the Minions and everyone for being so warm and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted your debut with the Challenge was a good experience Nick. I hope to see you out next year.

      Delete
  20. Awesome pike dudes. Another fantastic looking unit addition. It's been a great challenge this season. Thanks Curt for making it happen again. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Brendon. I'm delighted you made it out for this edition. To next year!

      Delete
  21. You are a master craftsman Curt, these are wonderful. Here's to 9 months until the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, very kind of you. Yes, 9 months to dawdle about before the next bout of madness.

      Delete