Wednesday 1 March 2017

From StephenS: Angry Monks (60 points)

Twelve worked-up monks take the field for my burgeoning Saga/Lion Rampant force. No doubt they've helped themselves to a little of their Monasteries home-brew and now feel they need to make a point, preferably with something sharp.



These guys are 28 mm figures from Gripping Beast. They were very easy to paint up, they are after all, basically a robe with a head and hands sticking out. Unfortunately, the castings weren't great, and a few have melted faces. It can get pretty hot out in the desert I guess...


All up that should be 60 points, and now that I've got my final theme round already finished, it's back to trying to finish the last two units for this army before the final curtain call.

Cheers,

Steve

ByronM: Very nice work Steve, I really like how you kept everything dull and muted for your colour choices.  It makes them look far more authentic and worn than brighter more saturated colours would.  Sorry to hear about the castings, I too have found Gripping Beast metals to be really hit or miss so its not something new. This rag tag unit nets you a nice 60 points towards your score, great work.

21 comments:

  1. A couple of those odd faced ones it looks like the sculpt rather than the casting (particularly the chap with the big roll of neck blubber). Maybe you could say they were the brothers who worked in the "infirmary for 'orrible diseases"?

    Nice painting on this mob Steve :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasmin! I agree, the faces have a lot of character, especially the well-fed monks. Even the three with misformed faces ended up looking, as you say, like they had some weird growth over half their face.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Tamsin about the odd faces but the end result is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking religious chaps, weird melted faces? Goes with the territory in those days, working too close to candles and no health and safety.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I'm not sure arming over-weight, slightly blind, bookworm monks would meet health and safety either ;)

      Delete
  4. Even with their flaws, they're still great. Try to think of them as the monks in 'Name of the Rose'. Now, those were some Uuuugy chaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, maybe I need a Sean Connery-esque figure to balance them out!

      Delete
  5. I like that Curt, one of my favourite books. It is too bad Umberto got unreadable after that.

    Very nicely done Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I still love going back over his essays and articles though.

      Delete
    2. Cheers John, I've only read 'The Name of the Rose' and 'Foucault's Pendulum', so I'll defer to yours and Curt's critiques ;)

      Delete
  6. I like these monks a lot, even with their flaws. They make an impressive rabble! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, on the table-top it's more than likely that their looks will be the only way they make an impression :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks Steve - these submissions have been inspiring my own dive into SAGA. It's great!

    Kind of concerned to hear about Gripping Beast's reputation for hit-and-miss figures...I have my own first order from them en route...hopefully the figures are OK...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like a bunch of ugly irate monks! I'm with the others, the monastery was a great place to tuck those offspring born with "faces made for radio"...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really not sold on the miniatures but your painting lets 'em shine.

    ReplyDelete