Saturday 11 February 2017

From Millsy: Warhammer Empire Artillery (50 points)

It's HOT. I mean really, REALLY HOT and it isn't letting up. Even with the aircon blasting painting is still a chore. You either sweat like a teenage 40K weenie or the paint dries on the brush from the constant bone dry draft of the aircon. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

This was the car yesterday afternoon driving home from work. Gotta love a slowly baking freeway...



And today is HOTTER.

Anyway, enough moaning and making excuses. I have managed to paint some stuff despite the weather. In fact I'm pleased to report I've paint one whole more point than the number showing on the temperature gauge in the car :-)

I've been collecting classic Warhammer Empire miniatures for about 4 years now, slowly building an um.... "Millsy-sized" army whilst attempting not to break the bank (talk about opposing points of view!). I've finally reached a point where I am ready to start painting and given I'm still waiting for stuff for my Boxer Rebellion project I figured I'd finally crack into this project.

Today's post is a pair of artillery pieces and crew in the state colours of Nuln (black and whatever else). The men of Nuln are famed for their prowess in all things black-powder related. First up is a current edition plastic cannon and classic crew. I'm not much of a fan of the current artillery pieces overall but this one is ornate whilst not being overwrought.



The second piece is a classic Hellblaster Volley Gun, a 9 barrelled crack-pot device at least as dangerous to the operators as it is to the enemy. The crew includes engineer Leonardo, whose bald head is either a result of stress or misfire and probably a good dose of both. I suspect his surname may be Acropolis.



50 points of Empire artillery and I'm off and running. Next up a unit of hand gunners, also in Nuln state colours.

Cheers,
Millsy

____________________________________

Yikes! That is terrifically hot weather you're having Millsy. I not a big fan of extreme heat and I'd find that just too unbearable. Here, we went through a week-long cold snap of -40 temperatures, but, as weird as it sounds, with the cold you can dress for it fairly easily and completely escape it by going indoors. I hope it cools down for you folks soon.

 Now, on to your work.

I must say I'm really liking your approach to your Empire collection. The uniform colours are subtly muted, giving them very much a historical look - in fact most of these would be absolutely terrific in an Italian Wars collection (will start rummaging right after posting this...).

I'm also admiring your dark metallics for the guns. I often see these in bright steel, which is perfectly fine, but I'm liking the more utilitarian look of these guns. They look like they mean business.

50 points for your fine efforts, Mr. Mills. Well done sir, and best of luck with these Abominable Devices.

21 comments:

  1. Well done on the guns and crew and good luck with the heat! The plastic cannon is very nice, I morphed one into your Italian Wars collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I had to look up to C to F conversion. That's hot even by Texas summer standards! Your empire troops are looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cannons, got to love a hellblaster!
    Lovely colours.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work Millsy - hope the temperature becomes more, errmmm, temperate for you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant work! So good to see the old lead getting a new lease of life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are brilliant Millsy! Such excellent colour combinations and metalwork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful work. I love the subdued Nuln tones, instead of garish yellow, and the metalwork is to die for! I may have to pick up a few of those cannons for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great mate, the blackened metal is excellent. Glad to hear you've got some painting done despite the heat - we've only got aircon in one room so painting in 40+ is a bit of a non starter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing stuff! I find the guy profiling his distended codpiece a bit brash...oh,that's a lead-shot. We'll, brilliant all the same. I'm with Curt on the minus 40,but that might be a Canadian perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely stuff Millsy. Great looking arty and I like the idea of "Millsy sized" armies. I enjoy a ridiculously oversized force myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking really good. I feel you with the heat...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantatistic and inspiring stuff Millsy! Always great to see more Empire stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bloody hell mate...thats hot... well done on getting something done! it looks a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great guns and crew. cheers from rainy Darwin. The Top End is different to the bottom end. :) ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your painting is as hot as the weather down under! Like Curt I admire the metallics but there is a lot more to like as well, such as the wood grain on the Hellblaster, even though the wood tones are curiously reversed from wheel to wheel.
    I love the crew figures, they are ace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice, love the woodgrain on the artillery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooooh those are nice, I still have one lying here, should've sent you that too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely battery, Millsy! I like the work you did on the cannon almost as much as the crew. I can almost envision the Nuln engineers scorching the timber for the black color while letting the natural wood yellow for the to capture the Nuln colors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cracking work Millsy! Eventhough the weather sucks here at times (-30 sometimes) at least you can prepare for that with proper clothing. +49 is just plain ridiculous. How on earth do you people survive?

    ReplyDelete