Sunday 5 February 2017

From MilesR: Ode to Armor (105 Points)

 After a grueling week of high level strategic like business sessions, it was good to get back to the painting workbench in wintery Maryland.  I've pulled together a little impromptu armor expose for you.

First up are two WW2 tank Destroyers - a US M-18 Hellcat and a German Jagdpanther.  Both models are 28mm resin kits from Trenchworx and the are simply superb - just a joy to assemble and paint up.

 The M-18 Hellcat is one of my favorite US WW2 vehicles.  It was a very fast (50 mph) but lightly armored tank destroyer that mounted a high velocity 76mm gun.  First deployed in Italy over 2,500 vehicles saw service against the Germans.

 The Jagdpanther was a monster of a tank destroyer. It mounted a 8.8cm anti-tank gun on a Panther chassis - so had mobility, hitting piers and relatively good armor.  415 vehicles were produced during the war.  It dwarfs the M-18 (the grid in 1cm squares).


 Next up is a modern take on armor with a Soviet bloc BTR-80A that I purchased from Age of Glory Miniatures.

It's a good basic IFV for the African and middle eastern theaters.

 Lets move on to some Fantasy armor in the form of a Dragon Tortoise and Purple Worm from the Reaper Bones line.  As I've indicated earlier, the Bone s material really does work well for larger figures like these which were fun to put together and paint up.  I'll likely add some more highlighters to the Dragon-Tortoise before the Challenge is over.

You may ask "Why a Dragon Tortoise?" I say "why not?"!


The business end of the worm - I bet that will leave a mark.
 Lastly, some 28mm armored skeletons from the Northstar Miniatures Frostgrave line.  I did two up in red just for fun.

lastly, a group shot of todays work.  I've been away from the paint desk fro a week, so I'm a bit rusty.  Hopefully my productivity will increase once I get back from the UK next weekend.


Tamsin: I'll go with you judgement on points but there are 3 28mm vehicles (45points), 6 28mm figures (30 points).  The worm is essentially a vehicle (15) but the Dragon-Tortoise is ???.   I'll trust you to decide what it's worth.  All were fun to paint and that's what matters.



I can't imagine the horrific and grueling nature of those ten hours of business meetings over six days in the Turks. You poor thing - you must have been bled dry. What kind of boss would inflict such tortures?

I'm glad to see that you managed to get some work done while you were away from base. For the scoring, as worms have been scored as vehicles in the past and the dragon tortoise is a similar size I'll score that as a vehicle as well, which will give you 105 points for this entry.

Tamsin

15 comments:

  1. "Why a Dragon Tortoise?" I say GAMERA!!!!

    I have the Reaper worm too and have all sort of washers and nuts glued underneath one side on its base to give it some stability - great model, I love it.
    And that Jadgpanther is a beast.

    Great stuff all round mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's really neat! And, I feel bound to point out, he's full of turtle meat!
      ; )

      Delete
  2. The Hellcat is a great Tank destroyer in the summer or in warm climates. So for wargames no problems at all. All the armour does look good. I particularly like the BTR.
    NOTHING wrong with the painting on the fantasy stuff either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gamera, Shai-Hulud, the skellies and the tanks are all excellent!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great batch of varried figures Miles. Now rest up from your gruelling week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Miles. That M-18 really came out looking sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Miles! I'm not surprised your armor came out so well, but those undead are quite striking too! Wonder how they'll fair against those two oversized beasties :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back, Miles! Great work in the armor beasties including the tanks!
    I quite like the btr. The fantasy beasts do look nice too, I may have to try out the bones creature line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice armour and monsters, really like the skeletons.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work Miles. Lovin the M18!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice collection. I could see the armoured skellies in a Marsh of the Dead kind of scene from the Lord of the Rings, or in Aragorn's army of the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Impressive size difference in the tanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great submission that red really rocks

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work - the BTR80 is my favorite, one of my favorite APCs. Great to see it in this Challeng!

    ReplyDelete