Monday 16 January 2017

From TamsinP - Turning Gold to Chrome (75 points)

"We serve an old man in a dry season
A lighthouse keeper in the desert sun
Dreamers of sleepers and white treason
We pray for rain and the history of the gun
There's a lighthouse in the middle of Prussia
A white house in a red square
Living in films for the sake of Russia
A kino runner for the DDR
And the 52 Daughters of the Revolution
Turn gold to chrome
Gift - nothing to lose
Stuck inside of Memphis in a mobile home
Sing

Mother Russia
Mother Russia
Mother Russia
Rain down, down, down..."


Another entry today and more Russians - different scale, different era but still Russians.



Fifteen Daughters of the Revolution (not 52 - Annie the Dice Bag Lady needs to get some more sculpted!) - WW2 Soviet women soldiers. These are 28mm figures from Bad Squiddo Games, a range which Annie commissioned for release at last year's Salute. There is another pair of snipers (standing poses) and a pack of tank riders but I haven't bought those.

Rifles:






Snipers:






I went for amoeba pattern camo for the capes as I thought it would be easier than leaf pattern. I think I've made a good approximation of it.


Submachine Gunners:






LMG Team:






Command Team:






Two of the figures (the sniper with the binos and the one with the field telephone) came without weapons. Luckily I remembered that I had bought a Russian weapons sprue from Warlord during AHPC5 for making Sgt Steiner as my Curtgeld. A quick hunt produced the sprue which I primed and painted. I then selected appropriate weapons and glued in place.

The tufts were homemade.


For scoring purposes, there are fifteen 28mm infantry so that should be 75 points. That puts me almost back on track.


MilseR: Fantastic entry Tamsin - these fearless ladies will net you 75 points in defense of the mother Russia.  Your homemade tufts are really exceptionally well done.  Nice to see you back in 28's





31 comments:

  1. Cheers Mathemagiciominion Miles! :)

    For anyone confused by my intro (after the lyrics), this was meant to be my second of two posts, but they seem to have been switched around ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great looking entry Tamsin, love the work on the camo and some very interesting sculpts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! They look super cool Tasmin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. And different too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the Sister of Mercy. Deep joy. Great figs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff! The snipers and command are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Tamsin. The camo turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, cool - well done Tamsin! I had never heard of these figures - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Tamsin. I second the tufts they really are good. I like the figures as well hell why don't I just admit I like everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandmother was one of these women, and I thank you for this excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing Alex. I can't imagine the hardship they endured.

      Delete
    2. It is not only fighting, but also was captive. She did not tell all, when he was alive, but what she said made me remember all that fascism and war - it's bad. On really bad.

      Delete
    3. Make sure to tip a glass to her on May Day.

      Delete
  11. Good Soviet women soldiers!
    Sniper - especially lovely, all this camouflage - enjoy;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific work Tamsin! A very inspiring post.

    I need to get one of those flocking machine-thingys. I go through tufts like mad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing work Tamsin, surly this should have been you "East" bonus round???

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been thinking of picking a few of these up for my Sniper Reminders, you make it an easier decision should I get to a show this year.

    Lovely work Tamsin

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look really great Tamsin - the cape camo is particularly nice

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great, Tamsin. I like seeing your work in larger scales, and I like to see Annie's figures getting some love. I have her Dark Ages females and am hoping that they will get done as Rohan shiel wives before this all ends. Bravo.
    PS - is it odd that the grunts get men's trousers but the officers get skirts? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great unit Tamsin! And very nicely painted. Love the them all, but the LMG and command teams best of all. All the guys love a gal in uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the Sniper figures they look great, cracking work on them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ James B - cheers! :)

    @ Annie - wow! The lady herself likes them! Glad you like what I've done with them :)

    @ Dave D - cheers! :)

    @ Adam - thanks! :)

    @ Martin C - cheers! Those lyrics seemed appropriate :)

    @ Barks - thanks! :)

    @ Rod F - cheers! :)

    @ Greg - thanks! Well, you've heard of them now :)

    @ Clint - cheers! :)

    @ Alex - thank you and thank her. As Curt says, do raise a glass in her memory on May Day :)

    @ Peter M - cheers! :)

    @ Curt - thanks! The FlockBox is incredibly useful :)

    @ Ray - cheers! I've got stuff from much further East for the bonus round :)

    @ Phil - thanks! :)

    @ Ian - cheers! I did think of your sniper reminders when I was painting them - you should definitely pick some up :)

    @ Paul O'G - thanks! :)

    @ Michael P - cheers Padre! I look forward to seeing those shield wives when you paint them :)
    ps - it does seem a little bit odd...

    @ Peter D - thanks! Some girls also like a girl in uniform :)

    @ Ken R - cheers! :)

    @ Nick J - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant work, Tamsin - say what you like about Stalin, he was an equal opportunity despot!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely looking soviets, I could do with a sniper and I might have to get one of these.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Evan - cheers! He certainly was :)

    @ Iain - thanks! You really should :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cool! Love those sniper models in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning work Tamsin! That Amoeba pattern camo has come out nicely.

    ReplyDelete