Tuesday 20 December 2016

From MilesR: Trenchworx Sherman 76 in 28mm (15 Points)

My first submission is a relatively simple model - a 28mm scale M4A1 76 from Trenchworx.  The guys at Trenchworx make, in my opinion, the best 28mm scale vehicles.  More importantly they're also gamers and now sponsors of the Challenge - what's not to love?

Of all the tanks I build for wargaming (and there are a lot of those), the ubiquitous Sherman is my favorite.  I'm not sure why, maybe its the lines of the cast hull or the soothing tone of the Olive drab paint.  I never tire of painting them.

The Trenchworx version of the Sherman is from their recently completed "Tanks of the Western Front" Kickstarter and is just a superb kit.  If you haven't built one of their models, you should do so.

The weathering is a bit understated (just a little bit of rust to hint a field use).  I've found with figures that go on the gaming table a lighter touch on weathering holds up better.

My first submission should net me a whopping 15 points and also be counted for the 28mm vehicle challenge.

One down, a metric s***-ton to go....

As with previous challenges, I break out brand new Winsor&Newton Series 7 brushes - this set of 0, 1 and 2 sized brushes should see me through the Challenge but will be severely worn out at the end.  I know they're on the expensive side but I haven't found anything better and it never pays to go cheap on ones tools when there's a job to be done.

Usually worn brushes end up the the dreaded "Terrain Paint Brush" drawer.  That must surely be the equivalent of a old race horse being sent to pull a plow in a field.  

Perhaps I should consider a more fitting send off for these veterans of the painting wars.  Maybe a Viking style funeral will better welcome these frayed veterans in the halls of Vallejohalla?

Tally-Ho!!!!!

__________________________________________

That is a nice 'Ronson' to be sure, Miles (I await the Treadhead assault...).I agree, the products from Trenchworx is top tier stuff. I have several kits from their WWI Kickstarter and they are terrific models. Almost no cleanup and a whiz to assemble. I like the light rust you've given it - I tend to go a little bonkers with the weathering powders, so a little restraint is nice to see. 

Winsor & Newton, eh? Pretty posh Miles. With the punishment you put your brushes through during a typical Challenge campaign season they should either be pensioned off and given land in Etruria or be treated like spent brass from squad weapon... Either way, they've definitely given you good service.


29 comments:

  1. Smashing start! I prefer Sherman's and P4s to the Tigers and panthers, they seem much more down to earth. Not sure the same would be true if I had to drive one mind you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job. With regards tools I have a carpenter friend and he buys the cheapest saws he can find by the dozen. No matter how good the saw once you hit a nail it is daffy ducked

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Sherman there Lord of the Stats and a great first entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice first up Miles. I do like the cast hull Sherman's. I can never get away with W&N brushes personally as they don't last for me.. so good on you with yours..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I think you're onto something about the soothing lines and colors of the Sherman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a sharp looking model. Really nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done. And fast too. I do love the Sherman, for all its faults. I have yet to try out the Trenchworx stuff but the people I know who have picked up their products swear by them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's one fine looking tank might have to look into this company. You have done a cracking job on it too Miles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice looking Sherman Miles. I too prefer kit that actually does the fighting instead of sitting around looking menacing.
    I've stocked up on fresh brushes too, but doubt I'll get the same Miles-age from them.
    Cheers, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rather good I must say. Nice clean white stars make excellent targets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really nice painting on the Sherman. A classic tank for sure. Iconic. Those brushes rock. They are longest lasting brushes I have ever used and highly recommend them. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to get that green right but you nailed it.

    I also use W&N but also Rosemary and Co. series 33 which are cheaper but do hold up well

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the kind comments. As for Trenchworx, I've gotten to know some of the team from gaming conventions and really like them plus the work is fantastic - everything starts with a 3D printed photo-type based on a CAD design by Nate who is a real artist in CAD.

    You'll be seeing a good number of Trenchworx stuff this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice work Miles! I chuckled when I read of your affection for the Sherman, as it is one tank I can't ever seem to paint unless it is in service for the IDF :)
    It's good to have the sort of painting equivalent of "comfort food" and this looks great! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beauty of a Sherman, Miles!
    I really like the basic weathering, but like Curt said...I don't seem able to stop till my vicks appear ready for the target range! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, probably why most are brewed up by turn two! ;)

      Delete
  16. W&N Series 7s are great. My workhorse brush also, supplemented by some BrokenToad mk 2s these days. Love the tank, and need to get me some of those Trenchwork pieces.. my Americans can always use more Shermans :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice job on the tank! I am with you, I love the Trenchworx stuff, amazing quality for cost. I am with you on the brushes too, even though people complain about the cost, I find they last 5+ times longer than cheap brushes but only cost 2-3x as much as a cheap brush, so well worth the cash.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent work with color, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!! Simply Wow!! Just pop it in the post for me Miles, and I'll even cover the p&p ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. An excellent start - but we want to see a good many more tanks!

    In fact, tanks a million!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent looking Sherman! Definitely one of my favourites as well... when it comes to allied arour of course ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a very nice looking model, Miles. I like the light weathering too.
    Looking at the sad state of my brushes I think I need some new ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Crikey, I can't believe how quickly you painted that. It takes me forever to paint one 15mm vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice looking piece of hardware this!

    ReplyDelete