Friday 19 February 2016

From John M: Japanese Tanks (28 points)


I was really hoping to have a much bigger submission for this Friday, but I have so many projects on the go that it is hard to accomplish anything. Two squads of Japanese soldiers are just about finished but not today so I will have to save them for next week.

I finally received the flags for my new 18mm Napoleonic forces so I can not resist getting some of them done today. I went with GMB which are beautiful flags but take some work to get done...curse Flagdude for his ever increasing disappearing acts.

Anyway back to the submission, these are 2 vehicles from SHQ, trying to find Japanese tanks in 20mm or 1/72 is quite a challenge. I must say I enjoyed paining them. I usually use an airbrush to do camo but these were done free hand and I think they look OK.

Type 97 Chi-Ha Medium Tank
One of the distracting projects can be seen in the background, a bamboo jungle. 
Type 94 TK Tankette
This is the second smallest tank I have in my collection, the only smaller is the MKIV British Tetrarch

Great submission John. Your freehand work ix excellent, and you've done these lovely SHQ sculpts justice, all without having to bother with that diva of the hobby desk, an air brush.  It is interesting to see Japanese tanks - of course, they've always been around, but it is neat to see the Pacific Theatre of WW2 getting more and more gaming attention (at least from my perspective).

"I have so many projects on the go, I can't accomplish anything" - I know what you mean! I like to think of it more as "incremental progress", but I think many of us can relate. I can also relate re: the Flag Dude and his touch-and-go communications...I do so love his products, however - it's like "take my money!". 

So, two 20mm tanks is 24 points [NOTE - THIS IS A CORRECTION FROM EARLIER-SORRY JOHN!]- and I'll throw in extra for the freehand camoflage - anything to put airbrushes in their place. 28 points for you John, and we look forward to more next week - be they Japanese infantry, Napoleonics, or whatever else strikes your painting fancy!

13 comments:

  1. That's nicely done John. I never got to but any flag dude stuff .. He was too flakey to even take an order. I always found GMB to be good ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. great work - the camo is superb. I look forward to the infantry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Freehand camo looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really dig the camouflage on the tanks! The bit of bother project behind them is a nice piece of work...my Catachans could have fun with that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking tanks but I have to say that my eye is drawn to those magnificent stands of bamboo groves. Fantastic stuff John - I'll have to get your recipe for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can partially thank yourself Curt as the bases for the Bamboo groves are from the Big Red Bat Store. many more to come.

      Delete
  6. Pacific war is on my to do list for this year. This is superb inspiration. the Camo is just fantastic.

    You might want to check out "Frontline Wargaming" for 1/72nd scale Japanese vehicles that is where I will head as they are cheaper then SHQ and he does a variety, but SHQ has the quality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great paintwork on the camos!
    unfortunately the japanese tanks are armoured only against laughs;-)and that's why it's so cool to play them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always good to see a Japanese Tank submitted and yours fts the bill rather well

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always partial to those bright yellow stripes! And the bamboo looks great.

    ReplyDelete