Thursday 11 February 2016

From AlanD - Fin de siècle women of the apocalypse (125 points)


My Challenge output has slowed considerable since the new school year started. I'll suffer for it tomorrow, but I did manage to get some figures finished tonight, so off they go for Millsy's imprimatur.



I've loved the Hinterland figures since I first saw them on someone's blog, and have had some sitting in the painting queue for about a year. If you haven't come across them before, Hinterland have a growing range of mainly c.1900-1918 fantasy women sculpted by Paul Hicks. No chain mail bikinis though - the women may be from fictional German units of female Hussars, Uhlans and so on, but they are all highly believable, and look pretty much how such female soldiers would have looked if they in fact existed.



I particularly like the Death's Head Hussar figures, so here's a bunch along with a mounted officer (Hinterland have a name for her, but I'm too tired to look it up), a Maxim gun, and an additional couple of officers from the Uhlans and Cuirassiers. My favourite is the blonde Cuirassier with the swagger stick.



I'm thinking these figures might work really well for In Her Majesty's Name, so I also painted up a set of five unfortunate zombie Hussars.



Just lovely figures, and I'll probably 'have' to get some more. Maybe some of Hinterland's trench raiders. Apologies for the photo quality by the way. I had to use my phone because the kids have hidden the camera somewhere.



As for points, we have one mounted figure, 21 on foot and a Maxim gun. I think that should come to 125 points. And with that, I bid you good night.
Alan has managed to squeeze in a last minute Thursday entry it seems. I can vouch for his commentary on staying up late as this one arrived after I hit the sack at 11:45pm last night. I'm not sure what "imprimatur" means but it sounds kinda kinky so I'm willing to give it a go. 
The other thing I can vouch for is the quality of this entry. I've been a big fan of these minis for a long time and your brushwork hasn't done anything other than increase my temptation level by another few notches Alan. I'm particularly taken by the blending on the skirts and how well it is reflected in the paved basing. Is that accessorizing? Anne? Tamsin? 
Nice work mate, that's a very well earned 125 shekels for your total. Cheers, Millsy

20 comments:

  1. Interesting figures and nice painting. very cool. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking figures. You've really done them justice. I didn't know they had some zombie figs as well. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great. I have the naval figures and the askaris. They see action in VBCW and colonial battles. Don't play IHMN but they will be great for that

    ReplyDelete
  4. These figures look great. While I have not seen the sculpts before I do like them a lot. The big problem with the challenge is I get tempted by so many different things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! Hinterland really does make some excellent miniatures. And suitably believable as well! I've been itching to buy them for quite a while, but haven't really figured out a suitable use for them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work, used to have these figures myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice paintwork!
    how do you paint the skintones please ?( apart with a paintbrush and patience ;-))

    thanks in advance for your reply.

    Best regards.

    GillesW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Gilles,
      Skin is usually the first and last thing I paint. I start with a coat of Army Painter Barbarian flesh, sometimes adding a little brown (although I didn't with these ladies). When the whole figure is painted (including eyes and eyebrows) I brush on the stuff I use instead of army panter did - http://dux-homunculorum.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/alternative-to-army-painter.html
      This gives some nice shading, although needs to be applied carefully to make sure it doesn't pool too much in the eye sockets. Then a spray of Anti-Shine varnish, and highlighting with Vallejo Flat Flesh on forehead, cheekbones, nose and chin. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Hi,

      thanks a lot, of course it will help;-)
      I'll try to do a test this weekend

      all the best.

      GillesW

      Delete
  8. These are excellent. Never seen them before but they are on my list to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work and some figures I would like to try someday.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work Dux! I really like how you did the mounted command stand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you did with them. I have some of these as well and know they paint up very nicely and you've done them justice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work. I do like feisty women!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those figures are really neat and painted very well too,Dux! I like how the officer is even sitting side saddle! Neat touch that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stuff mate, Ive loved these for year but never gotten any.

    BTW I have the full set of Trenchraiders coming in my sea freight so I've give you a good closeup look soon :-)

    ReplyDelete