Monday 11 January 2016

From PatG - 25 mm An assortment of VSF Martians (400 points)

Next up we have a post from PatG.  This is Pat's first post for this year's challenge, and I believe first post ever.  So welcome aboard Pat!
All figures are from RAFM and primarily from their 25mm Space 1889 range. The Martians are larger than human sized and are about 32mm tall.

Martian Artillery With Native and Askari Crew
Four greek fire throwers masquerading as light cannon and 10 crew - the native figures are used to mark if a specific gun belongs to the courageous Martian freedom fighters rather than the loyal Askari of HRH Victoria. The two bolt throwers were found in my bits box while prepping for the challenge and pressed into service as artillery for less advanced Martian armies. The guns are small and easy to paint so I have counted them as figures rather than guns. (80 Points)



Askari with Mountain Guns

Martian Askari in British service with two ex-civil war 12 pounder howitzers. Again the guns are standalone so not full points.  I love these infantry sculpts. My painting style and skill does not do them the justice they deserve. (75 points)


Hill Martian Skirmishers
Like the caption says, bow armed skirmishers for the less technological Hill Martians. These will complement an existing musket armed unit. (50 points)


Canal Martian Light Infantry
Rifle musket armed civilians. The red and blue hat colours indicate two different factions in my campaign fluff (I have more red hats) and the bobbles indicate platoon and company commanders. (55 points)

Canal Martian Lancers
Martian heavy cavalry lancers. The riding lizards are significantly larger than horses and make an equally larger dent in the wallet. The steel wire lances are aftermarket 15mm pikes but scale very closely to Victorian british lances. (110 points)

That's 370 points towards my goal of 500 and I have more mounted to come.

Thanks to all for providing the push to get all these done.


Well done on breaking your duck Pat, that makes a pretty good sized point bomb.  This is a fine collection of figures from a rather goofy range that I had forgotten existed.  I have painted a lot of Rafm figures in my day, and there are some typical Rafm poses in the mix.  In fact I think I have some of the 1889 redcoats in my colonial forces.
 It is a pity that they don't do variants of some figures, like the rifle musket armed dudes who are all firing at a full run.  I like your use of colour on that group to provide variety and the hat colours to denote factions and commanders.   Your basing gives a good impression of a red, arid and rocky terrain which seems about right to me.  I also like your repurposing of the fire projectors and ballistas.

I have noted Tamsin's comment below and adjusted Pat's score to a nice round even 400. 

22 comments:

  1. Lovely work Pat :)

    Just a note on the scoring, although the two guns are "stand alone", they are still crew-served weapons which would score 10 points. I think you may have diddled yourself into a (slightly) lower score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's 10 points each for the guns.

      Delete
    2. Quite right. I have adjusted Pat's score according.

      Delete
  2. Great entry. Welcome to the show

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific submission. Great points bomb and congrats on the first posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Lunatic in the Asylum! Trust me it gets worse from here. Welcome to the challenge.

    Space 1889 is one of my all-time favourite games. You have done the troops justice. I would be eager to start these are a force if I had the time/money to do so. An excellent start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderfully whacky! I love Victorian Sci-Fi and these don't disappoint. Well done Pat and welcome to aboard the 'AHP Challenge'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monday bomb and a very nice one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am truly disappointed with myself that I didn't reference Marvin Martian and an Earth shattering KABOOM

      Delete
  7. What a blast from the past, some lovely work and a trip down memory lane

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work! An excellent point bomb of aged goodies too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, very nice! Those lizard lancers are fantastic (on multiple levels!). Welcome to the Challenge, and what a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an impressive first entry Pat-a point bomb on the first outing!

    I do like these figures and I've never seen any VSF Martians before. I particularly like those lizard riders-those are just the business.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 400 points as an opening score is quite the achievement Pat - nice one!
    Great to see some classic VSF figures make it into the entry. Those Martian Askaris are my favourite Space 1889 sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the big opening salvo! Very nice work here - I've done a few RAFM Space 1889 figures in the past, and now I'm itching more than ever to do some more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the big opening salvo! Very nice work here - I've done a few RAFM Space 1889 figures in the past, and now I'm itching more than ever to do some more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an entrance Pat! A wonderfully characterful and well appointed force if ever there was one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, those Martians are freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is what I like about the challenge, lots of weird and wacky things that I didn't even know existed delivered to one place every day for viewing pleasure. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for your very kind comments. More to come. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic entry into the challenge Pat. Welcome aboard. I'm not overly familiar with RAFM, the Space 1889 figures look good. What rules are you using for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have played a couple of games with the "official" Solider's Companion rules. They were designed first as a colonial set with VSF bits added on. There are a few bits I don't like for example the initiative system so I have a copy of The Sword and the Flame on its way.

      I have also used In Her Majesty's Name for small skirmish actions and I have to say it is great fun.

      Delete