Tuesday 27 January 2015

From DavidB - My First 15mm as Cops...because cops is the theme apparently! (70 Points)


(my gun clerics...one was hiding with the cops in the box when this photo was taken)
Here are my first ever 15mm troops. These are the Police, Gun Clerics, and Merc squad from Rebel Miniatures. I was authorized by SWMBO to trade a swath of 1990's Magic cards to Rebel Mike for a bunch of Rebel Mini products. These were selected because "Equilibrium" starring Christian Bale was a great 'Pistol KungFu' movie which was pretty much Fahrenheit 451 redone. The Cops also remind me of them as well as the special police unit in the Manga"Jin-Ro"The Wolf Brigade.The Mercs?....a long time ago Rutger Hauer did a film where androids ruled the wasteland and mankind's few survivors lived deep underground. Rutger was a new Droid tasked to eliminate any droid deemed a threat to mankind's return. One group that was a threat was a all female android team of ruthless assassins that the Rebel Minis mercenary squad resembled.

These were all selected because I "thought" they'd be easy!  HA!

I have been painting on them for almost three weeks which is enough time to figure out most of what will not work. I still have a long way to go to perfect the NMM technique and I still do not like how plastic their weapons look. I seem to do better with NMM in 28's, but it is not consistent there either.


Here are the Police with rifles, sidearms and knifes as the future is very rough! The yellow base is officer or command, the blue represents squad leaders and the red is for marksmen/snipers and weapon teams. I went with a dark blue for contrast to the black armor and painted the respirator goggles yellow. I tried several different greys and wash combos on the guns and still haven't found the sweet spot.


Part of my trouble is I usually do three layers of color for base, mid, and highlight. On 15's it does not work too well for me. I have discovered that washes are my best friend! some areas just need the base coat and hue is just as important as chroma in this scale.


21 uber armed and armored coppers! They have four fire teams of five; Team Red, Team-Gold, Team-Blue, and Team-Green. an armor plate was given a lick of paint on the right arm to denote team.


In Rutger's movie, the assassins all had black hair, I went for a more varied spectrum with these.


I painted them after I painted the cops and found them to be a little easier. Maybe I had already learned, or maybe the colors used here were easier to work with.


The Gun Clerics were 8 models in 4 poses and also went a lot easier than the police.
Just because I'm going to use these in 5150 and Grunts, I made one in a blue coat to be my police commissioner. the grey and blue coat is his aide. four black coats were given a sinister red trim and will be my gun clerics while the other in grey will be my stand-in for Mr Bale. The Ginger in the green frock is the boss of the mercs!

I haven't given up as my 15mm birthday gift was enough stuff to proxy Alien Legion and that is just not available in 28mm. Since I've been tooling around 15mm websites and stores, I've found proxies to Tron, 5th Element, Blade Runner, and nearly any other Scifi  movie or comic book you could think of. I'll keep on with it, and hopefully I will feel confident enough to get cracking on the Alien Legion before Old Man Winter stops blowing!

21 cops
8 gun clerics
and 6 mercs

35 15mm scifi skirmishers!

16 comments:

  1. Really great. Good to read through the painting development and the inspiration behind the figs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its probably a good thing so much is represented in 15mm, as I'd go broke if it was 28's! ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ian! I'm still working to get your quality on the smaller scales! ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking work on these. I've got a pack each of the gun clerics and the mercs in my lead pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tamsin! When I seen those on Rebel Minis' web page, I had to have them...Now I'm really wanting the Infiltrator aka Tron bikes! ;)

      Delete
  4. Gun toting clergy? What's not to like!?!

    I refuse to paint cops. I'm copping out. OK, I'll get my coat... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) "Cop"-ing an attitude, eh!? ;)
      I'm just glad the multitude pretty much came out how I 'sorta' wanted them to!

      Delete
  5. Really nice and interesting to read about your challenges in a new scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did give me fits, but in addition to the Alien Legion proxies, I have some new SciFi rules of the 5150 group. I want to get started with them, but not until I have enough models/terrain for a good game. For a new scale, I promised myself to have no tin boys in use, everything must be completed!

      Delete
  6. Always good to see more 15mm Sci fi figures, Top job on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clint! I'm hoping to have these and the rest completed, then I can get more! ;)

      Delete
  7. Nice! It's really hard to stay away from 15mm, there is just so much cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of wicked cool stuff for any SciFi film/book you can think of....I may go Neo-Sov next, or Firefly....there is a lot to choose from!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Juan! They may not get used in 5150 Star Army much, but they will be excellent for 5150 New Beginnings which is pretty much miniature RPG.

      Delete