Monday 19 January 2015

From ClintB - 28mm Harpies (25 Points)

Yes I know, full and partial nudity. No, I was not painting in the nod! Well not this time! I do of course refer to the figures and being honest I don't think much of these Foundry sculpts. I am not saying I could do better, I KNOW I could not. But I am saying these do not seem up to their normal standard. Still enough whining and on to the figures.


5 28mm Harpy figures from Foundy's Greek Myth range. When I checked their range I noticed that they make both feathered wings and more bat like wings. I was not aware of that when I got this pack on eBay but I do now. Not that it would stop me I think I would have gotten the bat wings for choice.


Anatomically they are not like most Greek ladies most noticeable in the legs which definitely have a more avian feel to them. The first 3 are all the same species of Harpies. While the last two are somewhat different. I went for blond hair as they are mythical creatures and gives a good contrast to the purple of the wings.


As you can see the last two are different from the other Harpies. One has human legs (but a contorted face as "She" is eating some flesh. While the last one has "her" wings attached to her arms. In all the other sculpts the wings and the arms are separate, yet all are single piece castings.

While these are done well enough for a game they are only done to a wargames standard. But they are now ready for some "7th Voyage" or "Songs of Blades and Heroes" action, which is something I want a go at this year..... Greek myth wargaming.

From Curt:

You know, I actually quite like them Clint. They are perhaps a bit rough and brutal looking but it seems to fit well for the subject matter. The choice of going with blonde/golden hair was a great one. I also like the background you used in your photos Clint - very 'epic'.

...and what was that witty harpie joke you had? Oh, I can't remember... :)

16 comments:

  1. Nicely done Clint.

    7th Voyage eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tams, yes either "7th Voyage" OR "Songs of blades and heroes"..... but knowing me probably "Crom" rules!

      Delete
  2. Quite terrifying; The look like a tribe that practices "Death By Snoo Snoo". You did a great job in bringing them to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. They are not brilliant but they will do!

      Delete
  3. Nicely done Clint, love the purpley wing colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why I went for purple wings. I think it just seemed to work. Thanks Ray.

      Delete
  4. The blonde tresses do compliment the wings nicely, Clint! A purple wash for skintones would have enhanced the contrast even more. For 'wargame standard' they are very good and would be welcome at my table! ;)
    Is the 7th Voyage supplanting the Tarzan game!? At least the Tarzan board will get the opportunity for further use! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to the nature of the wild life in my shed I am unable to get to the Tarzan Boards at present so I can't answer that. Thanks David

      Delete
  5. You certainly painted them up to hide any poor quality in the castings so hats off to you

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The casting quality was not too bad, I just had a few issues with their faces. Which is as rare as hens teeth on Foundry miniatures I believe.

      Thanks Ian

      Delete
  6. I really like these Clint. Nice colour choice and something a bit different.

    ReplyDelete