Monday 8 December 2014

From VincentC - "To Mordor we will take you!" Ringwraiths from 'The Lord of the Rings' (10 points)


"Nine he gave to Mortal Men, proud and great, and so ensnared them. Long ago they fell under the domination of the One, and they became Ringwraiths, shadows under his great Shadow, his most terrible servants."

The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Shadow of the Past"


Better get going as some people are already off to a remarkable 130+ point head start!

Over the course of this painting challenge I'll be completing the models required to play every scenario from the Fellowship of the Ring journey book and the first batch of those is from the first scenario which involves 9 Rangers, 2 Ringwraiths and the Witch-king.


I've got the nine rangers about half way finished but I wanted to get my name on the board before too long in to the first week so I thought I'd get these two done today!

They have to be some of the easiest models I've painted by a long shot and I think they look pretty neat.

I'll be getting the Witch-king done as the first fortnightly challenge entry for 'cold' if it's deemed suitable.

Hope you enjoy.

From Curt:
They may have been simple to paint but they turned out marvellous Vincent (those empty cowls have always done a wonderful job in creeping me out). With these guys I always found that they look their best when you don't overthink them too much - they need some restraint to turn out their best. For example, I like that you left just enough black on their Morgul-blades to convey that wickedly decayed-yet-powerful-look seen in the films. I look forward to seeing your upcoming work with the Witch-king of Agnmar... 
 
Well done and welcome aboard Vincent!

17 comments:

  1. Very nice work... I love that line "to Mordor we will take you" from the Bakshi Cartoon... it has a wonderfully other worldly quality... a bit of a Yoda like quality... Looking forward to seeing more your work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Vincent - the grey is excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job. it would be possible to paint the swords with a dark blue color, so they stood out from the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done.. And suitably scary

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking good. And pushing me to do some LOTRs figures as well. Curses side tracked already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work, and such a cool idea to use the Challenge to paint up forces for a group of scenarios. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progression through the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work the shrouds really flow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nicely done, love the tarnished blades.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are very nice figures, and your painting work is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent work on those robes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. If it wasn't for the backdrop it almost would have looked like in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good start Vincent, at least your on the board now. It's good to see LoTR represented this year, I know Scott has a huge pile of stuff to get through and my planned submissions are 80% LoTR . Looking forward to the other 7 as Curt has got it spot on , they're creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well done. It's much harder to get black to look this good than it first seems.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wowza! thank you very much for all the very kind comments, I'll try too keep you knee deep in well painted lord of the rings models for the duration ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very effective work on the folds in the robes. Super creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shading on these figures are excellent! Like them a lot!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete