Thursday 25 December 2014

From JamieM - Dreadball Veer-Myn team (44 Points)

The Orx team published a week or so ago inspired me to get out my Veer-Myn team, who had been sitting in their green undercoat, gathering dust for a while.

I find that I sometimes have excuses why I can't paint something - "I don't have the right shade of purple for the epaulettes", "I can't start them until I have all 400 figures that I need for the full army" or in this case "I don't have the little clear bases that DB players come with". I gave myself a stern talking to after seeing the Orx team and found, in about 14 seconds of rummaging in the garage, some wooden hex bases of the right size that I'd bought for some other reason, stuck them on and I was away.


I'm normally a man who washes any figures that move, but I decided I liked the weathered look of the armour and so didn't want to chance changing it too much with a wash.


I was even inspired to make some small change to the poses so that each model is slightly different, but it reminded me why I dislike working with Mantic's "restic" plastic as it's horrible to cut and re-position.


I like to think of it as a game of "spot the difference....

Numbers from the FoW soviet tanks, as that seemed oddly appropriate. The bases were black to match the standard futuristic pitch with an orange line to show the front and backs of the bases, as facing is very important in Dreadball.


I do like a good game of Dreadball, simple to play and fun.

From Curt
A very cool entry Jamie. I liked how upon reading  Brian's Orx entry you were inspired to get your own team based, painted and ready for the arena - well done! The Soviet number decals are a brilliant touch and your repositioning of the poses really adds dynamism to the team as a whole (I'm adding a few extra points for the effort). Great work!

13 comments:

  1. Well done, these certainly look the business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out great! I'm honored that I was able to motivate you to get them finished. I'm also not particularly fond of the plastic bases but since I've never played a game wasn't sure if they made any difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never played a game? I can highly recommend you do! It's a great little game, quick and easy to teach. You absolutely don't need the clear bases, I was just being lazy as they require no basing work at all.

      Delete
  3. Really nice, very interesting and nice figures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting stuff. As a long-time Bloodbowl player this stuff intrigues me. This kind of thing isn't helping with the temptation either! Well done sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to play some blood bowl myself but sort of drifted away as the games could take a while. The speed of this game is one of its charms. I can very much recommend it - this is my third team. It's great to get two or three games in in a weekend and start a league with friends.

      Delete
  5. This is played at the club sometime but has not bitten me at all. But seeing your figures is making me re-think that and I may pay more attention to it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the weathered finish as well. Congrats on getting them finished

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job getting these done. I know all about excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the color choice and the "Boo-yah" we-are-coming-for-ya poses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a nice looking dreadball vermyn team. Great work.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete